Tuesday, June 10, 2008

clear-eyed freedom

This week at Abbey of the Arts, Christine offers this incredible image along with her poetry prompt. When I looked at this magical bird all I could see was "freedom." So, this time rather than drawing on my own words (which seem sparse in comparison to the image) I am choosing to share this piece of work from John O'Donohue. I hope you will head on over to the poetry party and leave your own interpretation!

“as a bird soars high
in the free holding of the wind,

clear of the certainty of ground,

opening the imagination of wings

into the grace of emptiness
to fulfill new voyagings,
may your life awaken

to the call of its freedom.”


from To Bless the Space Between Us

4 comments:

Les (Endlessly Restless) said...

I love the O'D - especially the last line. Too often we suppress our calling, and in doing so lose our freedom.

I was reading a prayer by David Adam today, containing this:

"Grant us a vision, Lord...
To give heed to your constant call."

Somehow it seems to fit together.

Thanks

Kayce aka lucy said...

ER--giving heed to that constant call is definitely a precursor to the awakening! peace.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore every word in the O'Dohohue book and this poem is a very fitting match to the image. Thanks so much lucy!

Mavis said...

This is really good Lucy. Thanks so much. This photo was a real challenge as I know (knew) nothing about raptors but my response is finally posted if you are interested.